Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Kentucky Derby Hats

Covering the Derby provides so much depth and array of coverage. While there’s really no “new” picture per say as it has been shot 47 different ways in 500 different angles(Don’t believe me? Look a Michael Clevenger’s photos), it is always fun trying to find something new. While wondering around the main concourse, I stumbled upon a overhang where the light was coming in and hitting a green wall. After shooting some moments of people walking through, I started pulling aside some dapperly dressed folks and posing them against the wall for some portraits. I usually try to stay out of my photos and this caused me to go out of my normal comfort zone of a long lens but I really enjoyed interacting with the spectators. I kept reminding myself of advice from a mentor: “No one dresses up to hid in the crowd. If they dress up, they want to be seen and photographed”. So here are some portraits from the day of hats and outfits from another side of “the greatest two minutes in sports”. Thanks for looking!














No comments:

Post a Comment